Sunday, November 9, 2014

Waitomo Glowworm Caves


Adventuring:
Over the weekend Heather and I went on a three-hour bus ride down to Waitomo. Waitomo has caves that you can walk or raft through to see the glowworms that live inside. I really had no idea what to expect. When we go there I got a little nervous about floating though a cave in the dark. We each had a black inner tube that we sat in to float through the caves. We walked through the water at some parts and floated through others. We started out by doing a sort of practice jump into the water. You have to stick your bottom into the tube and jump backwards into the water. I was too worried about flipping backwards to give any thought to the temperature of the water. It was shockingly cold! So much so that my hands hurt just from being in it for less than a minute. Luckily the water did not feel as cold in the cave, despite being told it was colder inside of it. I guess I must have gotten used to it. That, or I was having too much fun to think about feeling cold.

I was a little worried about jumping off the dock backwards and down into the water.



In the cave we wore wetsuits, socks, boots, and a helmet with a flashlight mounted on it. The wet suits were so stiff and uncomfortable! It was difficult to move in them. When we were inside, we saw an eel! It made me a little uncomfortable to think there was an eel swimming in the water with me. I was careful not to dangle my fingers in the water, I didn’t want the eel thinking they were food! I wish I could have gotten a picture of it. It was strange to see an eel in the wild because I have only ever seen them on TV and in aquariums.


Bruno and Rodrigo from Brazil

 One of our two guides, Chris





Is anyone else wondering why I am the only one who was given a yellow helmet? Maybe they knew I needed to be watched carefully. After all, I did flip myself backwards on accident. I couldn't get back in my tube and the water was too deep to stand in, so Chris (the guide) had to help me back in!
The man to the far right spoke only German. There was also a couple there with us from Australia.


 At different points throughout the rafting tour we would turn off our headlamps so that the only light we could see was the bioluminescent light coming from the glow worms, which aren’t actually “worms.” While rafting through the cave we learning that glowworms are not “worms” at all, but are actually maggots. How exciting… (yuck!).  They are the larval or maggot stage of a fungus gnat fly. Regardless, it was so awesome looking! It really did look like a starry sky!

 
Our "we survived" photo!

And of course, after rafting through the cave for nearly three hours, we also went for a little hike around while waiting for our bus for home.












During the mandatory 30 minute break in the middle of our bus ride, when all we wanted to do was sleep, we were pleasantly surprised to see that there was a festival going on with music and asian food! 






Teaching:

This week I have planned for three reading groups and two math groups. I am excited for the opportunity to work with these children using my own plans. This will hopefully help transition me into next week where I will be doing my full time teaching and planning. I am actually excited for it! Before I came to New Zealand, I was worried that I wouldn’t feel prepared to teach full time at my new school since would have to start full time teaching shortly after arriving. Even though I have only been in the classroom for 7 full days, I feel good about taking control. I love that I feel so comfortable in the school and have caught on to things so quickly!


On a side note:
I've been noticing how truly difficult it is to always be switching from work and school mode to vacation and adventure mode. It is definitely difficult to find a balance and to have the ability to be trying to plan and think about teaching while being out and adventuring. As is trying to plan adventures for your weekend while you also need to be teaching and be in teacher mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment