Saturday, October 25, 2014

Mount Wellington


This morning I packed up my bag with a snack, water, a jacket, my NZ phone in case of emergency, Leaping Lindsey (my rubber band girl), and of course my camera, then set off for an adventure all by myself! I was a little worried about catching the bus and getting to Mount Wellington and back, but I mostly felt confident about finding my way. The bus driver was so nice and helpful. From my experience so far, the people in NZ seem to be a lot happier and nicer than in the US. I told the driver where I was planning to go, and he let me know when to get off. We also talked the whole 30 minute drive there about what I was going to do and where I was from. Mount Wellington was only a short walk from the bus stop, then a long tamp (the NZ way to say hike) up to the top! 






It was absolutely beautiful! You could see so far from the top! I could see the Sky Tower in Auckland and Rangitoto Island, which is another extinct volcano that I will be visiting tomorrow with my friend Shannon. There were volcanic rocks deep down in the center and the dirt was a deep reddish brown. There was a family at the top that brought pieces of cardboard to sit on and slide down. It looked like a lot of fun! They didn't go too far, but they were having a blast!




Any way you looked, you could see ocean! 


I believe that is Mount Rangitoto Island





That's Auckland in the background. The tall skinny tower is the Sky Tower. You can get coffee up there, and I heard you can even bungee jump off of it! 

It's hard to really see the size of this, but if you look at the tiny specks that are people up to the top left, it gives you a little perspective. 

Selfie? Why not! 


Leaping Lindsey tramped to the top with me!

And she took a break with me to eat a snack at the top.


I found these houses and apartments really interesting. They are all so similar and perfectly lined up. 

Volcanic rock!




It was very difficult for me to choose pictures today because I took so many and love them all! 





 
This is my NZ home :)

I'm going on another adventure tomorrow and then probably nothing big again until next weekend because I will start teaching this week on Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment