Sunday, October 26, 2014

Rangitoto Hike

WOW!
All I can say is, wow!

Mount Wellington pales in comparison to Rangitoto! 
Today Shannon and I went for a hike up Rangitoto. We started off our trip with the 9:00 ferry to the island made from an extinct volcano. It amazes me that a volcano can create land! It all makes sense and there are perfectly good explanations for it, but that does not change the fact that I am amazed by its happening. 










We hiked straight up Rangitoto and didn't feel too tired once we reached the top. It was beautiful along the way. The path was full of different plants, stone steps, and volcanic rocks. On our way down, we mistakenly took a wrong turn which resulted in an even longer, tougher, hike. Somehow we ended up going most of the way down it, then back up and around the the opposite side. We were tired and sore, but it was well worth it because the path we ended up on was even more beautiful than the one we had been on before. It was thinner and more challenging and had an amazing view. The path let out at the beach which had plenty of volcanic rocks to climb across and out into the ocean.


Volcanic rocks are very sharp! I cut my hand one one!


 Inside of a lava cave!




It amazes me how trees can just grow amidst all the rocks! I mean it is literally a deep pile of rocks! 


 These little guys were so interesting and all over!

Just taking a small break! 


For the Moustache Menaces of room 18! I miss you guys! :) 










Shannon and I got burgers at a place in Auckland because we were starving after our long 6 hour hike! I asked for ketchup, knowing the call it "tomato sauce" because it just seems like I would be given the wrong thing. I asked, "could I have some ketchup... or tomato sauce... or whatever you call it?" and the girl gave it to me. I dipped my burger in it and noticed that the flavor is really not the same as ketchup. It truly is more like tomato sauce, mixed with a little "eew" and "gross." The girl could tell that it tasted different to me and asked what we had in ours that made it so much different. My response? High fructose corn syrup! Needless to say, tomato sauce will not be entering my mouth again. 


Interesting but unrelated things:
- There isn't a cutoff date here for year ones (kindergarteners) to start school, children just start going right when they turn 5. That means that even if it's is halfway through the school year or the end of the school year you could end up with a new student. I think that would be challenging, especially with a child's first year of school While all of the other children have the routine down and are used to all the work they do, the newer child will be new to the whole routine. Talk about differentiation! The children in my year one (kindergarten) class were writing full sentences, while the two new children were painting pictures and the teacher was dictating sentences.

- Ordering coffee is frustrating and confusing. At home you can ask for "coffee," "plain coffee," or "black coffee" and they give you what you asked for! Here their response is "what kind?" Even though it didn't work at the first place I went to, I tried explaining myself again this time that I went, because surely they do have coffee here! However, it did not work and I got the same look that I got the first time. She explained that they have something with two shots of espresso and water in the bottom (a long black). I wasn't sure how else to say what I wanted, so of course I ordered what is becoming my NZ usual; a flat white. This time though, I was left feeling confused and a little embarrassed. It is such a strange feeling to not have the ability to express what you want. It sure gives some perspective on what it is like for people from other countries coming into the US to transition into another culture. Regardless of the language you speak, there are differences in cultures that can sometimes make communicating thoughts, wants, or in this case needs (because I can't survive without loads and loads of coffee!), challenging or even frustrating! 




Kia Ora!

No comments:

Post a Comment